Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2014

IBPS: Logical Reasoning Test


Direction (for Q.No. 1):

In each question below is given a statement followed by three assumptions numbered I, II and III. You have to consider the statement and the following assumptions, decide which of the assumptions is implicit in the statement and choose your answer accordingly.

1. Statement: "A rare opportunity to be a professional while you are at home." - An advertisement for computer literate housewives by a computer company.

Assumptions:

 I     Some housewives simultaneously desire to become professional.
II    Computer industry is growing at a fast pace.
II    It is possible to be a professional as well as a housewife.

    A.     Only I and II are implicit
    B.     Only II and III are implicit
    C.     Only I and III are implicit
    D.     Only II is implicit
    E.      None of these

Direction (for Q.Nos. 2 -3):

A good way to figure out the relationship in a given question is to make up a sentence that describes the relationship between the first two words. Then, try to use the same sentence to find out which of the answer choices completes the same relationship with the third word.

2. Odometer is to mileage as compass is to

A.     speed
B.     hiking
C.     needle
D.     direction


3.     Careful is to cautious as boastful is to
    A.     arrogant
    B.     humble
    C.     joyful
    D.     suspicious

Direction (for Q.No. 8):

In each question below is given a statement followed by two conclusions numbered I and II. You have to assume everything in the statement to be true, then consider the two conclusions together and decide which of them logically follows beyond a reasonable doubt from the information given in the statement.

Give answer:

    (A) If only conclusion I follows
    (B) If only conclusion II follows
    (C) If either I or II follows
    (D) If neither I nor II follows and
    (E) If both I and II follow.

4.     Statements: Domestic demand has been increasing faster than the production of indigenous crude oil.

Conclusions:
   I   Crude oil must be imported.
   II  Domestic demand should be reduced.

    A.     Only conclusion I follows
    B.     Only conclusion II follows
    C.     Either I or II follows
    D.     Neither I nor II follows
    E.     Both I and II follow

Direction (for Q.No. 5):

In each question below are given two statements followed by two conclusions numbered I and II. You have to take the given two statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance from commonly known facts. Read the conclusion and then decide which of the given conclusions logically follows from the two given statements, disregarding commonly known facts.

Give answer:

    (A) If only conclusion I follows
    (B) If only conclusion II follows
    (C) If either I or II follows
    (D) If neither I nor II follows and
    (E) If both I and II follow.

5. Statements: All men are dogs. All dogs are cats.

Conclusions:
 I   All men are cats.
 II   All cats are men.

    A.  Only conclusion I follows
    B.  Only conclusion II follows
    C.  Either I or II follows
    D.  Neither I nor II follows
    E.  Both I and II follow

Direction (for Q.No. 6):

Each question given below consists of a statement, followed by three or four arguments numbered I, II, III and IV. You have to decide which of the arguments is/are 'strong' arguments) and which is/are 'weak' arguments) and accordingly choose your answer from the alternatives given below each question.

6. Statement: Should people with educational qualification higher than the optimum requirements be debarred from seeking jobs?

Arguments:
  I    No. It will further aggravate the problem of educated unemployment.
II    Yes. It creates complexes among employees and affects the work adversely.
III    No. This goes against the basic rights of the individuals.
IV   Yes. This will increase productivity.

    A.  Only I and III are strong
    B.  All are strong
    C.  Only II and IV are strong
    D.  Only III is strong
    E.  None of these

Direction (for Q.No. 7):

Remember, you are looking for the word that does NOT belong in the same group as the others. Sometimes, all four words seem to fit in the same group. If so, look more closely to further narrow your classification.

7.  Which word does NOT belong with the others?
    A. biology
    B. chemistry
    C. theology
    D. zoology

Direction (for Q.No. 8):

Read each definition and all four choices carefully, and find the answer that provides the best example of the given definition.

8. In the Maple Hill school district, a Five-Day Suspension occurs when a student is not permitted to attend school for five days for (1) physically assaulting another student, a teacher, or a school employee or (2) willfully destructing or defacing school property. Which situation below is the best example of a Five-Day Suspension?

A. Lillian gets caught cheating on a math test for the second time and is suspended from school.
B. Marc is asked to leave the classroom due to his constant disruptions.
C.Franny uses spray paint to write derogatory comments on the locker room wall and she is given a suspension.
 D.  Ms. Farmer tells her class that students who fail the midterm exam will be expected to stay after school for tutoring help.

Direction (for Q.Nos. 9 - 11):

In each question below is given a statement followed by two assumptions numbered I and II. You have to consider the statement and the following assumptions and decide which of the assumptions is implicit in the statement.

Give answer

    (A) If only assumption I is implicit
    (B) If only assumption II is implicit
    (C) If either I or II is implicit
    (D) If neither I nor II is implicit
    (E) If both I and II are implicit.

9. Statement: "Those who are appearing for this examination for the first time should be helped in filling up the form." - An instruction to invigilating staff.

Assumptions:

 I   The form is somewhat complicated.
II    Candidates can appear more than once for this examination.

    A.     Only assumption I is implicit
    B.     Only assumption II is implicit
    C.     Either I or II is implicit
    D.     Neither I nor II is implicit
    E.     Both I and II are implicit

10.     Statement: Most people who stop smoking gain weight.

Assumptions:

I    If one stops smoking, one will gain weight.
II    If one does not stop smoking, one will not gain weight.

    A.  Only assumption I is implicit
    B.  Only assumption II is implicit
    C.  Either I or II is implicit
    D.  Neither I nor II is implicit
    E.  Both I and II are implicit

11.   Statement: Imprisonment for 27 years made Nelson Mandela, the President.

Assumptions:

    I   Only who will be imprisoned for 27 years will become the President.
   II    To become the President, imprisonment is a qualification.

    A.     Only assumption I is implicit
    B.     Only assumption II is implicit
    C.     Either I or II is implicit
    D.     Neither I nor II is implicit
    E.     Both I and II are implicit

Direction (for Q.No. 12):

In each of the following questions, three statements are given followed by four conclusions numbered I, II, III and TV. You have to take the given statements to be true even if they seem to be at variance with commonly known facts and then decide which of the given conclusions logically follows from the given statements disregarding commonly known facts.

12.     Statements: No table is fruit. No fruit is window. All windows are chairs.

Conclusions:

I     No window is table.
II     No chair is fruit.
III    No chair is table.
IV   All chairs are windows.

    A.     None follows
    B.     Only I and II follow
    C.     Only III and IV follow
    D.     All follow
    E.     None of these

13:COBBLER : SHOE

A. jockey : horse      B. contractor : building
C. mason : stone       D. cowboy : boot
 E. potter : paint


Direction (for Q.Nos. 14 - 15):

Each problem consists of three statements. Based on the first two statements, the third statement may be true, false, or uncertain.
14. The hotel is two blocks east of the drugstore.
The market is one block west of the hotel.
The drugstore is west of the market.
If the first two statements are true, the third statement is

    A.     true
    B.     false
    C.     uncertain

15.   A jar of jelly beans c:contains more red beans than green.
        There are more yellow beans than red.
        The jar contains fewer yellow jelly beans than green ones.
        If the first two statements are true, the third statement is

    A.    true
    B.     false
    C.     uncertain


16.    8 12 9 13 10 14 11
        A.     14 11
        B.    15 12
        C.     8 15
        D.     15 19
        E.     8 5

Direction (for Q.No. 17):

In each question below is given a statement followed by two courses of action numbered I and II. You have to assume everything in the statement to be true and on the basis of the information given in the statement, decide which of the suggested courses of action logically follow(s) for pursuing.

Give answer

    (A) If only I follows
    (B) If only II follows
    (C) If either I or II follows
    (D) If neither I nor II follows
    (E) If both I and II follow.

17.     Statement: A large number of engineering graduates in the country are not in a position to have gainful employment at present and the number of such engineers is likely to grow in the future.

Courses of Action:

I    The government should launch attractive employment generation schemes and encourage these graduates to opt for such schemes to use their expertise and knowledge effectively.

II   This happened due to proliferation of engineering colleges in the country and thereby lowered the quality of the engineering graduates. Those colleges which are not equipped to impart quality education should be closed down.

    A.     Only I follows
    B.     Only II follows
    C.     Either I or II follows
    D.     Neither I nor II follows
    E.     Both I and II follow

Direction (for Q.No. 18):

The logic problems in this set present you with three true statements: Fact 1, Fact 2, and Fact 3. Then, you are given three more statements (labeled I, II, and III), and you must determine which of these, if any, is also a fact. One or two of the statements could be true; all of the statements could be true; or none of the statements could be true. Choose your answer based solely on the information given in the first three facts.

18.     Fact 1:     Pictures can tell a story.
          Fact 2:     All storybooks have pictures.
          Fact 3:     Some storybooks have words.

If the first three statements are facts, which of the following statements must also be a fact?

I:     Pictures can tell a story better than words can.
II:     The stories in storybooks are very simple.
III:     Some storybooks have both words and pictures.

    A.     I only
    B.     II only
    C.     III only
    D.     None of the statem

Direction (for Q.No. 19):

Find the word that names a necessary part of the underlined word.

19.   vertebrate
        A.      backbone
        B.      reptile
        C.      mammal
        D.       animal


Direction (for Q.No. 20):


The logic problems in this set present you with three true statements: Fact 1, Fact 2, and Fact 3. Then, you are given three more statements (labeled I, II, and III), and you must determine which of these, if any, is also a fact. One or two of the statements could be true; all of the statements could be true; or none of the statements could be true. Choose your answer based solely on the information given in the first three facts.

20   Fact 1:     Pictures can tell a story.
       Fact 2:     All storybooks have pictures.
       Fact 3:     Some storybooks have words.

If the first three statements are facts, which of the following statements must also be a fact?

I:     Pictures can tell a story better than words can.
II:     The stories in storybooks are very simple.
III:     Some storybooks have both words and pictures.
    A.     I only
    B.     II only
    C.     III only
    D.     None of the statements is a known fact.


Answers:              1.A    2.D   3.C    4.C      5.C    6.D   7. A     8.C   9.B
             
                             10. D    11.  D    12. A   13. B   14.A   15. B  16. A   17.D   18.C    19. B   20. B